Do you have diarrhoea?
Most adults will experience diarrhoea — loose watery stools — at some time.
Most people do not need any specific treatment for infectious diarrhoea as it usually improves on its own in a couple of days.
Stay Hydrated with Water
If you have diarrhoea, it is important to drink plenty of liquids to keep well hydrated. This is especially important for children and babies.
The treatment for non-infectious diarrhoea will depend on the cause.
Treating and preventing dehydration
Suitable fluids to drink when you have diarrhoea include oral rehydration fluids, water, clear soups and broths. If you have nausea, try taking small sips of fluid often.
Dehydration may be treated with oral fluids or, if severe, with intravenous fluids (i.e. into a vein, via a drip).
Acute diarrhoea can be caused by infections either to the gut or outside the gut (e.g. tonsillitis , ear infections, urinary infections), anxiety or fear.
Irritants taken into the stomach and bowel via food, laxatives, metabolic disturbance e.g. nutritional deficiency, allergic reactions, weakened digestive organs, antibiotic treatment, unripe food, greasy foods.
The poorly nourished child is the most prone to diarrhoea.
Chronic diarrhoea is the result of bowel disease and must be treated by a competent naturopath, homoeopath or medical doctor.
We use various naturopathic principles to treat the cause and look for the disharmony in your body and mind to bring your body back to balance. Please see below a brief treatment (Rx) protocol and reference guide, with choices to help improve your health and wellbeing. Click on the headings and links within for more treatment information.
What To Do
- Do not eat any foods for 24 hours
- Alternate cold and hot compreses to abdomen if painful (use hot flannel or waterbottle, and ice wrapped in flannel or cold pack)
- Stay Hydrated – fluid is lost from the bowel. Drink water, herbal teas – eg. chamomile, peppermint, fennel
- Electrolyte solution – coconut water or mix in 500 ml filtered water 8 tsp sugar to 1 tsp salt (Himalayan if possible).
- Introduce nutritious fluids – soup broths, stewed apple, slippery elm porridge (slippery elm mixed with stewed apple or banana, cinnamon, carob, or nutmeg until bowels firm up.
- For the older child and adult rice crackers or vegetable rice dish with onion, garlic (risotto consistency).
If you are experiencing these conditions, I can guide you into wellness – BOOK NOW for a Naturopathic Consultation.
Tissue Salt Rx
If diarrhoea occurs during teething.
Undigested stools come on suddenly with fever. Diarrhoea in anaemic conditions.
Pale-coloured stools, worse from rich foods.
Foul-smelling diarrhoea. Diarrhoea in nervous and anxious person eliminates the excess of watery, mucoid secretion.
Yellow stools and cramps. Diarrhoea due to infection.
Nutritional Medicine Rx
Use Food as Medicine! Nourish your body and mind with fresh seasonal, whole foods. Clean unprocessed & unadulterated foods like nature intended. Support a back to the basic natural approach to eating. Visit your local farmer markets and buy organic produce where possible. Go vegetable crazy! Love your greens.
Food Sensitivity Testing is an easy way to take the guess work out of what may be contributing to you feeling unwell, suffering digestive problems, inflammation, bloating, skin conditions, asthma etc. A whole food natural diet is excellent to follow but what some people don’t realise is one man's food can be another man’s poison. Give your digestive tract a break and feed your body with food that heals. A stressed and inflamed digestive tract (gut) suffering dysbiosis needs help to build up a good microbiome balance. It is not only important for your ability to absorb and utilise nutrients but your gut health and immune system are inextricably linked. Seventy to eighty percent of your immune tissue is located within your digestive system and ninety percent of serotonin is made in the digestive tract. Serotonin is a key player in mood, anxiety, fear, and the general sense of happiness and wellbeing.
The intestinal microbiota (gut flora) helps in proper development of the host immune system, which in turn regulates the homeostasis of the microbiota. Good nutrition promoting good gut health microbiome promotes a healthy immune system.
The gastrointestinal tract is also sensitive to emotion. A troubled intestine can send signals to the brain, just as a troubled brain can send signals to the gut. Therefore, a person's stomach or intestinal distress can be the cause or the product of anxiety, stress, or depression.
Don’t diet! Listen to your body. Eat mindfully in a relaxed environment and choose quality, not quantity. Enjoy fuelling your body and treating it well.
Flower Essence Rx
- Bach Flower Essences
- Australian Flower Essences
Lifestyle Medicine Rx
Exercise and Fitness Management:Select an exercise activity or sport you enjoy. Choose something that works for you and aim for the 80/20 % approach and always listen to your body.
- Walking is a wonderful activity for all ages, shapes and sizes.
- Build up slowly but aim for 10,000 steps a day.
- I recommend investing in a motivational health monitor like ‘Fitbit’ and or an app like ‘MyFitnessPal’ to motivate you to have a go and strive to improve your fitness and maintain a healthy weight.
Hydration:Aim for 2 – 4 litres of clean, filtered water a day. One of the easiest ways to improve your health is to stay hydrated as your body is made up of 60% water and it needed by every cell of the body. Sugar, Salt and Coffee is dehydrating for the body. Often if you feel thirsty this is an early sign of dehydration. Make it a habit and drink throughout the day. Benefits include:
- Natural Detox – a naturally hydrated body purges the cells, eliminating stored toxins and bodily wastes.
- Digestion and Elimination – eliminates constipation, boating and helps improve general digestive disorders.
- Speeds Metabolism and helps with weight loss.
- Combats Fatigue – water is an important source of energy for your body.
- Reduces High Blood Pressure and Lowers Cholesterol.
- Speeds up Joint and Cartilage repair.
- Skin Health – improves Acne, Dermatitis, Eczema, Psoriasis and Premature Skin Ageing.
- Slows the Ageing Process.
- Aim for 7 – 8 hours quality sleep.
- Turn off all electronic devices and avoid technology and hour before bed as this allows your brain to switch off and make it easier to fall asleep.
- Keep your bedroom just for sleeping & loving. Fresh Air – open a window. Light can make or break a good sleep cycle. Darken your room as much as possible.
- Don’t eat late in the night. Avoid caffeine and stimulants.
- Set your alarm to get to bed and wake at the same time every day.
- Night Cap: – Drink a warm lemon drink, herbal green tea or Golden Milk (Almond & Coconut Milk with beneficial spices) – “Turmeric Latte”, before bed.
- Create a nice environment with indoor plants, aromatherapy diffuser, soft relaxing music and anything that helps you promote a routine to wind yourself down to get much-needed sleep.