Meridians are pathways of the energy or what is known as ‘Qi’ (Chi), which have a corresponding relationship with the body’s organs.
Acupuncture restores the balance to the flow of this ‘Qi’ throughout the body, thus restoring it to health. Studies to explain the effect of acupuncture have described the Mechanism of Action that occurs with each treatment.
- Conduction of electromagnetic signals which speed up the release of endorphins and promote activation of the immune system.
- Endorphin release stimulates the sense of well being, known as the body’s ‘natural feel good’ hormones and they have the ability to reduce pain.
- Changes in brain chemistry through release of neurotransmitters and Neuro hormones.
- Acupuncture changes the brain waves to ‘Alpha’ – the relaxed state. Relaxed awareness produced by Alpha brainwaves are the optimum state for learning, promote higher levels of creativity, improved ability to problem solve, relaxed body and mind, lower levels of stress and anxiety, balances moods and creates emotional stability.
- Launching of opioid systems in the brain.
- Stimulates white blood cell production. These cells defend the body against infectious organisms and foreign substances. White blood cells, also known as leukocytes, are an important part of your body’s immune system.
In the acupuncture treatment, thin, very fine, sterile needles (wires) are inserted at specific points on the body. The acupuncture needles stimulate the chi and improve the balance of the meridians restoring harmony or health. These points are carefully selected according to the clients’ signs and symptoms. Each treatment is tailored to the individual’s needs.