Exercising first thing in the morning before breakfast will result in a greater proportion of fat being used as fuel. This is partly due to our glycogen stores being partially depleted throughout the night. Exercise intensity is an important contributor towards fat loss.
Exercise & Fitness Management
Exercise is a winner when it comes to improving your mood
Exercising at a higher intensity will increase your fitness and will deplete your glycogen stores at a faster rate, in turn encouraging your body to use a higher percentage of fat as fuel. If you are serious about your fitness, forget the sleep in because this is the perfect time to put on your joggers and get moving.
Strength training is also known as resistance training is any exercise that causes the muscles to contract against an external resistance with the expectation of increases in strength, tone, mass, and/or endurance.
Regular resistance (strength) training will not only tone and strengthen your muscles but it increases your bone mass/density. It is very important for the prevention of osteoporosis and important for all ages. Strength training is also an important contributor to increasing your metabolic rate and one of the best ways to encourage your body to utilise more fat as fuel.
Components of Fitness
Achieving the benefits of exercise and physical fitness.
To achieve the benefits of exercise and physical fitness, it is important to develop 4 parts to your training program to achieve the ultimate results.
These 4 components to true physical fitness are
- Muscle strength
- Muscle endurance
- Cardiorespiratory (cardiovascular) endurance (aerobic fitness)
Flexibility allows the joints to move with less chance of injury. Muscle endurance and muscle strength enables muscles to work harder and longer without fatigue and has the added advantage of increasing the body’s metabolism. Cardiovascular endurance or what we class as aerobic (with oxygen) fitness supports the action of the heart and lungs fitness.
You must be ‘in tune’ with your body.
Aerobic conditioning or cardiovascular fitness is the ability of the circulatory system, heart and lungs to supply oxygen and nutrients to all the cells of the body. Aerobic fitness improves when you train your body to exercise in a capacity that increases your heart rate to an intensity where you a working your body at your ‘Target Heart Rate Range’.
Monitoring your training heart rate is one way that you can monitor your fitness training intensity. Once you establish how it feels to work at your ‘training heart rate’ zone, you will be able to use what we call ‘Perceived Exertion’.
Physical activity supports desirable lean body tissue and reduces excess body fat. Mix your exercise routine around to keep yourself from becoming bored and to challenge your body. Monitor your intensity and endurance to improve your aerobic fitness. Gradually build your exercise training sessions from 30 to 60 minutes a day to just become part of ‘your style of life’.
The person who practices regular physical fitness activities adapts by becoming better able to perform the exercise and respond to the challenge of the workout session. You become more flexible, stronger, and leaner plus the advantage of endurance and ultimately peak fitness and a post-exercise relaxed, calm state.
Exercise is a winner when it comes to improving your mood
Release of endorphins promote a happy mind
Exercise decreases the stress hormones such as cortisol and increases endorphins. When you exercise, your mood is boosted naturally with the release of these natural feel-good hormones. The other chemicals that are released by the body to make you feel good when exercising are adrenaline, serotonin and dopamine. Endorphins are hormone-like substances that are produced in the brain, and during exercise when released they can produce a feeling of euphoria, improve our moods, increases pleasure, and generally makes us feel better. Endorphins can be so powerful they can actually mask pain (as in childbirth). For this reason, physically active people improve faster from depression.
The ‘Fitness Feeling’ is a feel-good high energy addiction and it is free and healthy! The trick is to gain the fitness feeling and the benefits of exercise by designing a balanced exercise program incorporating all the components of fitness to get the results you need.
the Best Medicine
Our health and lifestyle package is designed to address your exercise and fitness requirements so we can help support and encourage you to reach your goals and reap the benefits of being active in your daily life.
Exercise has to be fun and enjoyable so you are motivated to make it a way of life, fine tuned to fit ‘Your Style of Life.
- Exercise releases endorphins which promote mood enhancement and a natural high.
- Exercise decreases cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
- Exercise increases levels of HDL cholesterol – the ‘goody’ and lowers levels of LDL cholesterol – the ‘baddie’.
- Exercise strengthens the heart.
- Lowers blood pressure.
- Increases oxygenation throughout the body.
- Increases cardiovascular and respiratory function.
- Increases the elimination of wastes and carbon dioxide from the body.
- Increases the absorption of nutrients into the cells.
- Increases immune system function.
- Improves memory and learning functions.
- Increases blood supply to the muscles.
- Aids good digestion and elimination.
- Increases energy levels.
- Alleviates fatigue.
- Improves calcium deposition in bones and prevents osteoporosis.
- Promotes lean body mass while burning fats.
- Increases muscle strength.
- Increases flexibility of joints and muscles.
- Increases bone, ligament and tendon strength.
- Enhances posture, poise, physique and hence confidence.
- Increases longevity.
- Decreases tension and anxiety.
- Provides a natural release of pent-up feelings and alleviates anger.
- Increases self-esteem and mental outlook.
- Relieves moderate depression.
- Increases the body’s ability to cope with stress.
- Stimulates healthy mental function.
- Improves sleep, prevents insomnia.
- Induces relaxation.
- Decreases worries, restlessness and alleviates low spirits.
- Increases general feelings of well-being.
- Increases inner peace and has positive effects on moods and emotions.
- Exercise ultimately makes us feel wonderful.