Infection with worms, parasites and protozoa occur in many parts of the world. Symptoms, depending on the type of infestation and the severity, will often be absent. However, diarrhoea, epigastric pain and weight loss may occur. The major symptom associated with threadworm infestations is anal pruritis.
Children’s Intestinal Worms:
An infestation of any of the worms, most commonly threadworms, hookworm, pinworm, roundworm and tapeworm.
Threadworms (6.9 mm) long). These look like fine cotton threads. Eggs are laid on the outside of the anus and are transferred from there back to the mouth or to toys etc. with children.
Symptoms: Itching around the anus, which may disturb the child's sleep. The child may grind teeth in sleep. Sometimes the worms move into the vagina, causing itching and discharge.
Examination of the stool will usually show fine moving threads; worms can often be seen around the anus whilst the child is sleeping.
Symptoms are general irritability, usually large appetite with low corresponding weight gain; child bores fingers into the nose; there may be dark rings under eyes.
We use various naturopathic principles to treat the cause and look for the disharmony in your body and mind to bring your body back to balance. Please see below a brief treatment (Rx) protocol and reference guide, with choices to help improve your health and wellbeing. Click on the headings and links within for more treatment information.
What to do:
- Ensure the child washes hands after going to the toilet.
- Keep fingernails short.
- Prevent the child from scratching. Gloves if necessary.
- Massage with organic coconut oil (use glove to apply around the anus)
Aims of Treatment:
- Kill and/or expel worms, parasites, protozoa and their eggs with the use of anthelmintic and laxative herbs.
- HERBAL MEDICINE: Wormwood, Black Walnut, Andrographis, Cloves, Myrhh, Echinacea, Cranesbill, Thyme, Garlic, Senna, Licorice, Gentian, Aniseed, Golden Seal, Pau D'Arco, Qing Hao, Pomegranate.
- Enhance immune function.
SUMMARISED TREATMENT STRATEGY
- DETOXIFICATION OF PARASITES
- CORRECT INTESTINAL DYSBIOSIS / INFECTION
- CORRECT IMMUNE DYSFUNCTION
- CORRECT NUTRITIONAL INSUFFICIENCIES
- DETOXIFICATION OF PARASITES
- CORRECT INTESTINAL / IMMUNE DYSFUNCTION
- CORRECT IMMUNE SYSTEM
If you are experiencing these conditions, I can guide you into wellness – BOOK NOW for a Naturopathic Consultation.
Tissue Salt Rx
Alternate with Nat Phos when a child a an itching anus and white tongue.
For round, long or threadworms, with squinting and twitching of facial muscles.
Give one tablet twice daily between meals. Stop and if no improvement after five days combine Nat Mur and Silica and take in the same dosage.
Below is a quick reference guide for low potency (1x – 30C) homoeopathic remedies safe for home prescribing. Make an appointment for a professional consultation and prescription for more information.
Abrotanum 30 C:
Pale and old-looking face with blue rings around eyes; the child is cross and peevish; ravenous hunger but no weight gain.
Absinthium 30 C:
Grinding teeth, lathing of food with uncomfortable, irritable feeling in stomach, and colic in the abdomen.
Useful when worms travel over the perineum and get into the vagina in little girls, with tendency to excite masturbation.
Calc Carb 30 C:
Swollen abdomen; dark rings under deep-seated eyes; sore nostrils; ravenous hunger. Calcarea is a valuable remedy at a constitutional level to eradicate the disposition to worms.
Cina 30 C:
Rings around the eyes. Grinds teeth. Picks and rubs nose; night terrors; hungry soon after eating; itchy anus.
Cuprum oxydatum nigrum. [Cupr-o]:
This remedy, when indicated, will remove all kinds of worms, cure trichinosis, and even tapeworm.
Treatment of individuals affected by intestinal parasites and those suffering worm related disorders.
This problem also results because of excess sugar, milk and over acidity in the blood complicated by the internal parasites.
Physical symptoms include persistent sour belching, the production of abundant stools, and heavy sweats and persistent perspiration.
This remedy is also for use with internal parasites in babies who are still being bottle fed at the time of infection.
Physical symptoms can also include the production of excessive gas and a persistent colic state in infants.
The patients will crave and desire fried food-especially eggs, he or she will also love a lot of tangy foods and spices.
The saliva is yellow, and there is a creamy coating in the mouth and the tongue, this is accompanied by discharges in the eyes.
An itchy nose also tends to be always present in the person.
Psychological symptoms include apprehension and persistent anxiety.
The person is apathetic and seems indifferent to everything happening around him or her.
The condition of the person may worsen if he or she eats bread and butter.
Parasites such as pinworms and related nematodes like the beef or pork tapeworms.
Anal itching which is very persistent; this sensation often alternates with a persistent itching in the nose or in the ears at the same time.
Compulsive muscular twitching, the sudden appearance of convulsions and constant trembling in the body.
Hay fever, sudden bouts of sneezing. Nausea, vomiting, and colic are also often seen. A headache.
Itching anal region and the presence of a persistent bad breath at all times of the day and night. Persistent pain around the navel area.
Very sensitive to the effects of tobacco. Neuralgia in the face, in the eyes, and a great sensitivity to being touched by others.Stuttering even though he or she may not normally stutter. Palpitations. A headache – persistent from sunrise to sunset and this is repeated daily.
Emotionally fearful of the future and anxious about things. Worse for cold, damp environments.
Stannum metallicum [Stann met]:
According to Hahnemann, Stannum so stupefies the worms that they are easily dislodged by purgatives. It has many worms symptoms; thus pale sunken face and eyes surrounded by blue rings, Sluggish disposition, general torpor, fetor of breath and passive fever. Patient prefers to lie on stomach.
Used in the homeopathic treatment of individuals afflicted with internal parasites.
Physical symptoms include the persistent muscle spasms which occur over the course of the day and in the night.
There is as lot of twitching during sleep, and the patient may often wake up in fright at night.
Physical fatigue, other disorders such as epilepsy, which suddenly arrives when the person is sleeping or while he is walking normally. The person may make many contorted gestures in the face at nighttime, and he or she may suffer from tics.
Sudden bouts of diarrhea accompanied by abdominal pain; this situation may only be relieved by passing some stool.
Irritability, and a great sensitivity to noises and loud sounds.
Homeopathic treatment of individuals afflicted by internal parasites such as pin and threadworms or even those affected by roundworms.
Nervousness and irritability, extremely restless and affected by sleeplessness at night.
Crawling and itching sensations in the rectum and the nose, the condition of the patients worsens from the warmth in bed.
For ascarides or pin-worms; there is much irritation caused by them in the rectum. Tincture or lower dilutions, rarely fails in this condition. Another remedy for pin-worms is Sinapis nigra.
Cina and Cicuta are often indicated in convulsions from worms. person may also be affected by a chronic mucus production problem.
Nutritional Medicine Rx
Use Food as Medicine! Nourish your body and mind with fresh seasonal, whole foods. Clean unprocessed & unadulterated foods like nature intended. Support a back to the basic natural approach to eating. Visit your local farmer markets and buy organic produce where possible. Go vegetable crazy! Love your greens.
Food Sensitivity Testing is an easy way to take the guess work out of what may be contributing to you feeling unwell, suffering digestive problems, inflammation, bloating, skin conditions, asthma etc. A whole food natural diet is excellent to follow but what some people don’t realise is one man's food can be another man’s poison. Give your digestive tract a break and feed your body with food that heals. A stressed and inflamed digestive tract (gut) suffering dysbiosis needs help to build up a good microbiome balance. It is not only important for your ability to absorb and utilise nutrients but your gut health and immune system are inextricably linked. Seventy to eighty percent of your immune tissue is located within your digestive system and ninety percent of serotonin is made in the digestive tract. Serotonin is a key player in mood, anxiety, fear, and the general sense of happiness and wellbeing.
The intestinal microbiota (gut flora) helps in proper development of the host immune system, which in turn regulates the homeostasis of the microbiota. Good nutrition promoting good gut health microbiome promotes a healthy immune system.
The gastrointestinal tract is also sensitive to emotion. A troubled intestine can send signals to the brain, just as a troubled brain can send signals to the gut. Therefore, a person's stomach or intestinal distress can be the cause or the product of anxiety, stress, or depression.
Don’t diet! Listen to your body. Eat mindfully in a relaxed environment and choose quality, not quantity. Enjoy fuelling your body and treating it well.
Flower Essence Rx
- Bach Flower Essences
- Australian Flower Essences
Lifestyle Medicine Rx
Exercise and Fitness Management:Select an exercise activity or sport you enjoy. Choose something that works for you and aim for the 80/20 % approach and always listen to your body.
- Walking is a wonderful activity for all ages, shapes and sizes.
- Build up slowly but aim for 10,000 steps a day.
- I recommend investing in a motivational health monitor like ‘Fitbit’ and or an app like ‘MyFitnessPal’ to motivate you to have a go and strive to improve your fitness and maintain a healthy weight.
Hydration:Aim for 2 – 4 litres of clean, filtered water a day. One of the easiest ways to improve your health is to stay hydrated as your body is made up of 60% water and it needed by every cell of the body. Sugar, Salt and Coffee is dehydrating for the body. Often if you feel thirsty this is an early sign of dehydration. Make it a habit and drink throughout the day. Benefits include:
- Natural Detox – a naturally hydrated body purges the cells, eliminating stored toxins and bodily wastes.
- Digestion and Elimination – eliminates constipation, boating and helps improve general digestive disorders.
- Speeds Metabolism and helps with weight loss.
- Combats Fatigue – water is an important source of energy for your body.
- Reduces High Blood Pressure and Lowers Cholesterol.
- Speeds up Joint and Cartilage repair.
- Skin Health – improves Acne, Dermatitis, Eczema, Psoriasis and Premature Skin Ageing.
- Slows the Ageing Process.
- Aim for 7 – 8 hours quality sleep.
- Turn off all electronic devices and avoid technology and hour before bed as this allows your brain to switch off and make it easier to fall asleep.
- Keep your bedroom just for sleeping & loving. Fresh Air – open a window. Light can make or break a good sleep cycle. Darken your room as much as possible.
- Don’t eat late in the night. Avoid caffeine and stimulants.
- Set your alarm to get to bed and wake at the same time every day.
- Night Cap: – Drink a warm lemon drink, herbal green tea or Golden Milk (Almond & Coconut Milk with beneficial spices) – “Turmeric Latte”, before bed.
- Create a nice environment with indoor plants, aromatherapy diffuser, soft relaxing music and anything that helps you promote a routine to wind yourself down to get much-needed sleep.