Are you suffering from Rheumatic Fever?
Rheumatic fever (RF) is an inflammatory disease that can involve the heart, joints, skin, and brain.
The condition typically develops two to four weeks after a streptococcal throat infection.
Signs and Symptoms
Signs and symptoms include
- multiple painful joints,
- involuntary muscle movements,
- and occasionally a characteristic non-itchy rash known as erythema marginatum.
The heart is involved in about half of cases. Damage to the heart valves, known as rheumatic heart disease (RHD), usually occurs after repeated attacks but can sometimes occur after one.
The damaged valves may result in heart failure, atrial fibrillation and infection of the valves.
Rheumatic fever may occur following an infection of the throat by the bacterium Streptococcus pyogenes.
If the disease is untreated rheumatic fever can occur in up to three per cent of people.
The underlying mechanism is believed to involve the production of antibodies against a person's own tissues.
Due to their genetics, some people are more likely to get the disease when exposed to the bacteria than others.
Other risk factors include malnutrition and poverty.
Diagnosis of RF is often based on the presence of signs and symptoms in combination with evidence of a recent streptococcal infection.
- Sudden onset,
- pain and stiffness in one or more joints.
- loss of appetite and
- rapid heartbeat.
Seek Medical Advice!
A throat culture is essential, and because of complications that may develop, the child needs to be under expert medical care.
We use various naturopathic principles to treat the cause and look for the disharmony in your body and mind to bring your body back to balance.
Please see below a brief treatment (Rx) protocol and reference guide, with choices to help improve your health and wellbeing.
Click on the headings and links within for more treatment information.
If you are experiencing these conditions, I can guide you into wellness – BOOK NOW for a Naturopathic Consultation.
Tissue Salt Rx
These tissue salts below singular or in combination may help with this condition.
For the first stage of fever, congestion and pain; rapid, throbbing pulse.
Alternate Ferr Phos with Kali Mur when above fever signs occur with inflamed joints and swelling. Thumping pulse heard all over the body. Thickening of tissues during fever.
Weight loss, debility, run-down and exhausted. When fever comes on very slowly alternate Calc Phos with Nat Phos.
Sour smelling sweat; creamy-yellow tongue; acid taste in the mouth.
Nutritional Medicine Rx
Use Food as Medicine! Nourish your body and mind with fresh seasonal, whole foods. Clean unprocessed & unadulterated foods like nature intended. Support a back to the basic natural approach to eating. Visit your local farmer markets and buy organic produce where possible. Go vegetable crazy! Love your greens.
Food Sensitivity Testing is an easy way to take the guess work out of what may be contributing to you feeling unwell, suffering digestive problems, inflammation, bloating, skin conditions, asthma etc. A whole food natural diet is excellent to follow but what some people don’t realise is one man's food can be another man’s poison. Give your digestive tract a break and feed your body with food that heals. A stressed and inflamed digestive tract (gut) suffering dysbiosis needs help to build up a good microbiome balance. It is not only important for your ability to absorb and utilise nutrients but your gut health and immune system are inextricably linked. Seventy to eighty percent of your immune tissue is located within your digestive system and ninety percent of serotonin is made in the digestive tract. Serotonin is a key player in mood, anxiety, fear, and the general sense of happiness and wellbeing.
The intestinal microbiota (gut flora) helps in proper development of the host immune system, which in turn regulates the homeostasis of the microbiota. Good nutrition promoting good gut health microbiome promotes a healthy immune system.
The gastrointestinal tract is also sensitive to emotion. A troubled intestine can send signals to the brain, just as a troubled brain can send signals to the gut. Therefore, a person's stomach or intestinal distress can be the cause or the product of anxiety, stress, or depression.
Don’t diet! Listen to your body. Eat mindfully in a relaxed environment and choose quality, not quantity. Enjoy fuelling your body and treating it well.
Flower Essence Rx
- Bach Flower Essences
- Australian Flower Essences
Lifestyle Medicine Rx
Exercise and Fitness Management:Select an exercise activity or sport you enjoy. Choose something that works for you and aim for the 80/20 % approach and always listen to your body.
- Walking is a wonderful activity for all ages, shapes and sizes.
- Build up slowly but aim for 10,000 steps a day.
- I recommend investing in a motivational health monitor like ‘Fitbit’ and or an app like ‘MyFitnessPal’ to motivate you to have a go and strive to improve your fitness and maintain a healthy weight.
Hydration:Aim for 2 – 4 litres of clean, filtered water a day. One of the easiest ways to improve your health is to stay hydrated as your body is made up of 60% water and it needed by every cell of the body. Sugar, Salt and Coffee is dehydrating for the body. Often if you feel thirsty this is an early sign of dehydration. Make it a habit and drink throughout the day. Benefits include:
- Natural Detox – a naturally hydrated body purges the cells, eliminating stored toxins and bodily wastes.
- Digestion and Elimination – eliminates constipation, boating and helps improve general digestive disorders.
- Speeds Metabolism and helps with weight loss.
- Combats Fatigue – water is an important source of energy for your body.
- Reduces High Blood Pressure and Lowers Cholesterol.
- Speeds up Joint and Cartilage repair.
- Skin Health – improves Acne, Dermatitis, Eczema, Psoriasis and Premature Skin Ageing.
- Slows the Ageing Process.
- Aim for 7 – 8 hours quality sleep.
- Turn off all electronic devices and avoid technology and hour before bed as this allows your brain to switch off and make it easier to fall asleep.
- Keep your bedroom just for sleeping & loving. Fresh Air – open a window. Light can make or break a good sleep cycle. Darken your room as much as possible.
- Don’t eat late in the night. Avoid caffeine and stimulants.
- Set your alarm to get to bed and wake at the same time every day.
- Night Cap: – Drink a warm lemon drink, herbal green tea or Golden Milk (Almond & Coconut Milk with beneficial spices) – “Turmeric Latte”, before bed.
- Create a nice environment with indoor plants, aromatherapy diffuser, soft relaxing music and anything that helps you promote a routine to wind yourself down to get much-needed sleep.