Do you have measles?
Measles is a highly contagious infectious disease caused by the measles virus. Spread by the droplets of infected person coughs & sneezes.
Symptoms of Measles
Symptoms usually develop 10–12 days after exposure to an infected person and last 7–10 days.
Initial symptoms typically include
- Fever, often greater than 40 °C (104.0 °F),
- Runny nose, and
- Inflamed eyes.
- Small white spots known as Koplik's spots may form inside the mouth two or three days after the start of symptoms.
- Red, Flat Rash which usually starts on the face and then spreads to the rest of the body typically begins three to five days after the start of symptoms.
Complications occur in about 30% of cases and may include
- Inflammation of the brain, and
- Pneumonia, among others.
Rubella, which is sometimes called German measles, and roseola are different diseases caused by unrelated viruses.
Measles is an airborne disease which spreads easily through the coughs and sneezes of infected people.
It may also be spread through contact with saliva or nasal secretions.
Nine out of ten people who are not immune and share living space with an infected person will catch it.
Measles are infectious 4 days before rash to 4 days after!
People are infectious to others from four days before to four days after the start of the rash.
Most people do not get the disease more than once.
We use various naturopathic principles to treat the cause and look for the disharmony in your body and mind to bring your body back to balance. Please see below a brief treatment (Rx) protocol and reference guide, with choices to help improve your health and wellbeing. Click on the headings and links within for more treatment information.
What you can do!
- Eat a clean diet increasing alkaline foods such as vegetables and
- Energy Plus Program
- Increase fluids – stay hydrated with water.
- Cool and soothe the skin with bicarbonate soda bathing.
- Soothe skin and prevent scaring apply by applying natural creams and oils e.g. Coconut oil, Apricot, Almond, Rosehip and Jojoba oils
- Use Aromatherapy oils (check with practitioner first)
- Herbal Healing creams such as: Calendula, Witchhazel, Comfrey, Nettle and or Hypericum creams, salves and oils to help prevent scarring and to soothe the skin.
If you are experiencing these conditions, I can guide you into wellness – BOOK NOW for a Naturopathic Consultation.
Tissue Salt Rx
These tissue salts below singular or in combination may help with this condition.
The First remedy for fever and until eruption appears. Skin is red, hot, burning with fever.
Coated tongue, ear problems, swollen glands and a hoarse cough. Exanthemata (a skin rash accompanying a disease or fever) with congestion of skin and mucous membrane.
Very itchy skin and watery nose and eyes.
Give the appropriate cell salt hourly until the eruption appears. They may be alternated if necessary.
High fever without sweating. Prevents respiratory complications like bronchitis and pneumonia etc. Helpful to the desquamative stage.
Below is a quick reference guide for low potency (1x – 30C) homoeopathic remedies safe for home prescribing. Make an appointment for a professional consultation and prescription for more information.
Fever before the rash appears. Use this remedy in the first stages of measles. Anxious & frightened. Barking cough before the catarrh appears. Skin burning and itching.
Good for high temperatures and sore eyes. The child is worse from fever and being too warm but they are not thirst.
For high fevers, redness and restlessness. Bright red rash, burning skin which is hot and dry. Throbbing headache. May be delirious. Good for a severe cough that is worse at midnight.
Rash may be present. Worse from movement. Cough dry, hard and painful.
Watery nose and eyes that may be red and swollen. Aversion to light. Intense headache.
Slow onset of symptoms with no energy. Weak, sweating and shivering both being hot and cold. Thirst-less. Eyes inflamed and eyelids heavy. Headache, nasal discharge. Sore throat and sneezing.
Nasal discharge – stringy. Catarrhal deafness and discharge from the eyes. Swollen glands.
First remedy to consider when fever has reduced. Restless and desires comfort and attention. Cough dry and night but loose in the morning. Thirst seldom.
The remedy to choose when others fail to act. Aids in recovery. Helps to bring out the rash.
Nutritional Medicine Rx
Use Food as Medicine! Nourish your body and mind with fresh seasonal, whole foods. Clean unprocessed & unadulterated foods like nature intended. Support a back to the basic natural approach to eating. Visit your local farmer markets and buy organic produce where possible. Go vegetable crazy! Love your greens.
Food Sensitivity Testing is an easy way to take the guess work out of what may be contributing to you feeling unwell, suffering digestive problems, inflammation, bloating, skin conditions, asthma etc. A whole food natural diet is excellent to follow but what some people don’t realise is one man's food can be another man’s poison. Give your digestive tract a break and feed your body with food that heals. A stressed and inflamed digestive tract (gut) suffering dysbiosis needs help to build up a good microbiome balance. It is not only important for your ability to absorb and utilise nutrients but your gut health and immune system are inextricably linked. Seventy to eighty percent of your immune tissue is located within your digestive system and ninety percent of serotonin is made in the digestive tract. Serotonin is a key player in mood, anxiety, fear, and the general sense of happiness and wellbeing.
The intestinal microbiota (gut flora) helps in proper development of the host immune system, which in turn regulates the homeostasis of the microbiota. Good nutrition promoting good gut health microbiome promotes a healthy immune system.
The gastrointestinal tract is also sensitive to emotion. A troubled intestine can send signals to the brain, just as a troubled brain can send signals to the gut. Therefore, a person's stomach or intestinal distress can be the cause or the product of anxiety, stress, or depression.
Don’t diet! Listen to your body. Eat mindfully in a relaxed environment and choose quality, not quantity. Enjoy fuelling your body and treating it well.
Flower Essence Rx
- Bach Flower Essences
- Australian Flower Essences
Lifestyle Medicine Rx
Exercise and Fitness Management:Select an exercise activity or sport you enjoy. Choose something that works for you and aim for the 80/20 % approach and always listen to your body.
- Walking is a wonderful activity for all ages, shapes and sizes.
- Build up slowly but aim for 10,000 steps a day.
- I recommend investing in a motivational health monitor like ‘Fitbit’ and or an app like ‘MyFitnessPal’ to motivate you to have a go and strive to improve your fitness and maintain a healthy weight.
Hydration:Aim for 2 – 4 litres of clean, filtered water a day. One of the easiest ways to improve your health is to stay hydrated as your body is made up of 60% water and it needed by every cell of the body. Sugar, Salt and Coffee is dehydrating for the body. Often if you feel thirsty this is an early sign of dehydration. Make it a habit and drink throughout the day. Benefits include:
- Natural Detox – a naturally hydrated body purges the cells, eliminating stored toxins and bodily wastes.
- Digestion and Elimination – eliminates constipation, boating and helps improve general digestive disorders.
- Speeds Metabolism and helps with weight loss.
- Combats Fatigue – water is an important source of energy for your body.
- Reduces High Blood Pressure and Lowers Cholesterol.
- Speeds up Joint and Cartilage repair.
- Skin Health – improves Acne, Dermatitis, Eczema, Psoriasis and Premature Skin Ageing.
- Slows the Ageing Process.
- Aim for 7 – 8 hours quality sleep.
- Turn off all electronic devices and avoid technology and hour before bed as this allows your brain to switch off and make it easier to fall asleep.
- Keep your bedroom just for sleeping & loving. Fresh Air – open a window. Light can make or break a good sleep cycle. Darken your room as much as possible.
- Don’t eat late in the night. Avoid caffeine and stimulants.
- Set your alarm to get to bed and wake at the same time every day.
- Night Cap: – Drink a warm lemon drink, herbal green tea or Golden Milk (Almond & Coconut Milk with beneficial spices) – “Turmeric Latte”, before bed.
- Create a nice environment with indoor plants, aromatherapy diffuser, soft relaxing music and anything that helps you promote a routine to wind yourself down to get much-needed sleep.